How do I use less water?
You can save money by using less water. Have a look at the picture below to find out how we measure water use and what you can do to use less and reduce you bills.
Please use these figures as a guide only – the amount of water you use will vary depending on your circumstances.
Reasons why your bill may be higher than usual
Why is my bill higher than my neighbour’s?
This may be due to one of the following:
- Tariff – you may be on different tariffs.
- Credit – they may have credit on their account and have had their payments lowered to account for this.
- Different size household – they may have fewer people living in or visiting the house, leading to a lower rate of consumption.
- Different routines – everyone has different ways of living and your neighbour’s activities may use less water, e.g. taking a quick shower rather than a bath.
- Water-saving products – they may have invested in water-saving products to lower their usage and bill. Book a free water saving visit or request a save a flush bag.
Average water use and cost
We’ve put together the information below go give you an idea of an average household’s bill, and use of water and wastewater (that’s all the water that ends up in your drains and we need to take away from your home).
We’ve given you examples based on the number of people living in the home so it’s easier for you to make comparisons with your own situation. But do remember, these are averages so won’t be an exact match to your circumstances.
The figures are based on charges for the year April 2022 to March 2023.