We will therefore develop and deliver this Environmental Policy with the aim of continually improving our environmental management system to enhance our performance in line with customer expectations.
The Executive Management Team is responsible for this policy.
The Southern Water Environmental Policy Advisory Committee (SWEPAC) promotes the implementation of this policy.
All employees share responsibility for environmental management and performance.
- Reflect the needs and views of our customers and stakeholders in developing and delivering this policy
- Conform to our compliance obligations by meeting or exceeding the environmental requirements of legislation, regulation and our adopted standards
- Prevent pollution, eliminate serious pollution incidents and contain the environmental impact of our activities
- Provide sustainable and reliable water and wastewater services that minimise both nuisance and carbon emissions, taking into account the opportunities to mitigate and offset the impact of global climate change
- Be a good and trusted neighbour, looking after the environment wherever we operate
- Operate within a framework that supports and monitors sustainable development
- Incorporate sustainable development principles to balance economic, environmental and social aspects in our business decisions
- Continually improve our performance by maintaining and developing our Environmental Management System to the ISO 14001 standard
- Develop indicators with measurable performance targets and report progress against these annually
- Promote the efficient use and conservation of water, energy and natural resources
- Promote the purchase and use of materials in a way that minimises potential environmental effects
- Minimise waste, considering first prevention, then preparation for re-use, then recycling and finally recovery
- Ensure we have the skills and knowledge to improve our environmental performance
- Deliver assets that maintain sound environmental performance, protecting biodiversity and natural ecosystems during asset delivery
- Learn from our successes and from incidents, sharing best practice with others
- Work as one team with our customers, contractors, regulators, suppliers and with each other to achieve our vision.
Reviewed April 2015