My property is flooded with clean water

The flood in your home or garden might be caused by a burst water main or a leak from a water pipe, or it might be coming from some other source that’s also our responsibility. It will be distressing, so let’s get straight on with helping you.

Who to contact
  • Contact your insurer immediately. Tell them about any damage the flooding has caused to your property. If you don’t, it may affect and future insurance claims you need to make.
  • Call our 24-hour emergency number 0330 303 0368.
  • Let us know if any nearby properties have been affected, so we can help them too.


What we'll do
  • Where possible, we’ll contact you within an hour to let you know when we'll arrive.
  • We’ll call to let you know we’re on our way and may also send updates by text – so please make sure you give us your mobile number.
  • When we see you, we’ll give you help and advice on what to do next.
  • We'll also ask questions about the flooding to help us understand the cause.
  • We’ll check our water network and do what we can, as soon as we can, to address the cause.
  • If we’re responsible, we’ll carry out a basic clean-up of your property (removing excess liquid) within 12 hours, where possible. Unless your insurance company has made their own arrangements.


Insurance claims
  • Contact your household insurance company immediately.
  • We have strict liability for freshwater flooding. That means we’ll pay the cost of replacing damaged property or lost items.
  • Claims for damage or loss must first go to your own insurers as they will settle claims on a new for old basis. They’ll tell you what you need to do to meet the terms and conditions of your policy. They’ll recover anything they’ve paid out from us.
  • We will pay any insurance excess you’ve had to pay.  
  • If you’re not insured, then we’ll deal directly with you. We’ll settle claims based on an item’s current age and value, including wear and tear, rather than on a ‘new for old’ basis.


What you can do
  • Keep children and pets away from the flooded areas.
  • If it's safe to do so, isolate all electrical circuits by turning off the supply at the circuit board or fuse box.
  • Contact your insurance company to report the damage and make a claim (keep receipts of emergency expenses).
  • If it's safe to do so, take photos of the flooded area and any damaged property. These could support your insurance claim and help us to determine why the flooding has happened.


You may also find these pages helpful: 

Sewer water flooding your home

Sewer water flooding your garden

Leak on your property

Live Chat
Live Chat
Close agent lightbox  Close box