Water and wastewater services for Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
For business

Important information for business customers in the new market

The competitive non-household retail market is now open.

From 1 April 2017, the non-household water market in England is open to competition. This means non-household customers are able to buy their retail services from any licensed retailer.

We at Southern Water have opted to sell our non-household retail business to Business Stream.

This means that unless you have made alternative arrangements, from 1 April, Business Stream will supply your customer service such as billing for the services you previously received from Southern Water.

We’ll continue to be a wholesaler and continue to own, manage and maintain the water infrastructure for the area, including treatment plants, supply pipes and sewerage network. 

We'll also continue to be responsible for issuing trade effluent consents to you and the monitoring of these. 

  1. Our responsibilities as a wholesaler 
    • • being the key contact for incidents, emergencies and environmental issues on your site that may impact our network and assets
      • monitoring and taking samples of discharges
      • carrying out enforcement on non-compliant discharges
      • contacting you for process allowances, volumes and sample data used for billing and/or compliance purposes.

      If you have a query relating to trade effluent, you'll continue to be able to contact us.

      • By phone: Your Trade Effluent Inspector directly
      • Online: Visit www.southernwater/trade-effluent
      • Email: trade.effluent@southernwater.co.uk

      We have a dedicated 24/7 telephone number for you to report water supply or wastewater emergencies, blocked drains or possible pollutions, please call: 0330 303 0368.

      Your retailer will be responsible for supplying your water, wastewater and trade effluent service.
  2. Retailer responsibilties 
    • • your water supply meter readings as well as managing and sending your bills
      • contacting you to obtain meter readings for your own private trade effluent meter(s) that are used for billing purposes
      • processing new applications for consents and temporary consents
      • processing applications for changes to consent information
      • general trade effluent enquiries.
      • being the first point of contact for queries or complaints about your water and wastewater supply.

If your water or wastewater was previously supplied by a company other than Southern Water, these services won’t have transferred to Business Stream. If you have a query about the services offered by your other providers please contact them directly.

More information on how to find a new retailer and how to switch can be found on the Open Water website.

More information about competition in the water industry and what this means for you can be found on the links below.

Other useful sources of information

  Close box