Our complaints procedure

If we get something wrong, the best way to talk to us about it is to use our webchat service that way, we can try to resolve your issue there and then. But if we can’t, you can write to us using our web form.

Calls charged at local rate Monday to Friday, 8am-7pm.
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.


If you’d prefer to write, you can use our webform or send us a letter. We’ll reply to you within 10 working days of receiving your complaint, so don’t worry if you don’t hear back from us straight away. Someone will be looking at your complaint and working to find a resolution for you.

Write to: Southern Water, PO Box 564, Darlington, DL1 9ZG

Any legal correspondence and/or documentation should be sent to our registered office address: Southern House, Yeoman Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3NX.


After we receive your written complaint

Stage 1: We’ll give you a call to understand your issue and try to resolve things over the phone. If we can’t get hold of you, we’ll send you a written reply in 10 working days. Our reply will include a phone number and the name of the person dealing with your complaint should you wish to discuss any aspect of our response.

Stage 2: If you’re unhappy with the outcome of your complaint and write to us again, your complaint will be reviewed by our Customer Services Manager.

Stage 3: If you’re still unhappy after both steps, you can ask for an independent review from the Consumer Council for Water (CCW) – the voice for water consumers. CCW is an independent body set up to ensure the customer’s voice is heard and they will investigate customer complaints relating to our business.

Within 8 weeks we will either: 

  • be able to resolve your complaint
  • advise you that we’re still not in a position to issue our final response. We’ll tell you why this is and also when we expect to be able to do so.

In each of these cases, we’ll tell you how you can contact CCW if you’re unhappy with our response, or if you don’t want to wait beyond the eight-week time limit.

Visit: ccwater.org.uk
Email: [email protected]
Call on: 0300 034 2222
Write to: CCW, c/o 1st Floor, Victoria Square House, Victoria Square, Birmingham, B2 4AJ

Stage 4: If you’re still dissatisfied, you may be able to refer your case for an independent review by the Water Industry Redress Scheme (WATRS). CCW will let you know if your complaint is eligible to be dealt with by WATRS.

For more details about WATRS or to make an application:

Visit: watrs.org
Email: [email protected]
Call on: 0207 520 3801
Write to: WATRS, International Dispute Resolution Centre, 70 Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 1EU

Here to help

We always aim to provide you with excellent customer service. However, sometimes we make mistakes. If we do, it’s important that we fix any problems as quickly as possible.
Download our complaints procedure
Live Chat
Live Chat
Close agent lightbox  Close box