We’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This privacy notice tells you what to expect from us when we use information about you to manage our Catchment Schemes – our package of grant schemes available to reduce pollution risk.
For our Corporate Privacy Notice, which covers how Southern Water uses information about people, please see southernwater.co.uk/privacy.
What information do we collect about you?
We collect a range of information about an individual when they apply for a grant from us. This includes:
- Your name, address and contact details including e-mail address and telephone number.
- Details of your property and/or business to assess qualification with the terms and conditions of the grant schemes.
- You bank account or other financial details to enable the transfer of the grant.
- Site images before and after the undertaking of any scheme/project.
How we collect information about you
We obtain information about you:
- When you complete a grant scheme application form and a grant scheme claim form.
- When you contact us for any reason.
- When you attend a Southern Water event.
- When we visit your home or business as part of our Catchment Management activities.
- We also monitor email communications and may restrict delivery under certain circumstances.
We obtain information from the following publicly accessible sources:
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) sponsored public bodies such as the Environment Agency and Natural England.
How we use information about you
We use information about you to:
- Target our Catchment Schemes to serve the public interest in the effective operation of our water and sewerage systems.
- Send you communications which may be of interest to you. It is in our legitimate interests to broaden the portfolio of services we offer to you, and to serve the public interest in the effective operation of our water and sewerage systems.
- We may use images of certain projects/schemes in our promotional material. However, we will always request your permission before doing so.
- Inform studies, analysis and reports. It is in our legitimate interests to assess the effectiveness of our schemes in improving water quality.
Who do we share information with?
We may share information about you to:
- Carefully selected contractors and specialists to help us provide you with our services.
- Third Parties (without your name) outside Southern Water, within the catchment management sector (for example Natural England and Catchment Sensitive Farming).
How long do we keep information about you?
We’ll hold the information on our system for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is needed to meet our legal and accounting obligations.
Keeping information up to date
Please tell us as soon as possible if your contact details or other personal information change, or if you think that the information we have is not accurate. You can contact us at email@example.com. We’ll reply within one month of hearing from you.
If you want to know more about how Southern Water stores and uses your personal data, please: