Notification of proposed works

These guidance notes provide assistance for filling in the notification form for proposed plumbing works. The form can be submitted online including attachments of drawings or downloaded and posted.

Notification of proposed works form

The plumbing work which must be notified in advance using the form is given in the table below. Please note that where the installation is 2 or 4(b) or 4(f), no notification is required if the work is undertaken by an approved plumber.

However, on completion of the work a copy of the compliance certificate must be sent to the person who commissioned the work. In the case of an RPZ assembly the contractor must also notify Southern Water.

1 The erection of a building or structure not being a pond or swimming pool
2 The extension or alteration of a water system on any premises other than a domestic house
3 A material change of use of the premises

The installation of -

(a) A bath having a capacity as measured to the centre line of the overflow of more than 230 litres
(b) A bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose
(c) A pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per minute, connected directly/indirectly to a supply pipe
(d) A unit which incorporates a reverse osmosis
(e) A water treatment unit which produces a waste water discharge or which requires the use of water for regeneration or cleaning
(f) A reduced pressure zone (RPZ) valve assembly or other mechanical device for protection against a fluid which is in fluid category 4 or 5
(g) A garden watering system unless designed to be operated by hand
(h) Any water system laid outside a building and either less than 750mm or more than 1350mm below ground level

5 The construction of a pond or swimming pool with a capacity greater than 10000 litres which is designed to be replenished by automatic means with water supplied by the statutory water supplier

The notification form

(a) Applicant's details

The details, name, address, contact phone and email, of the person making the application. These details are mandatory and must be filled in.

(b) Recipient details

Please fill in this section if the consent is to be sent to a different address than A. For instance, the owner of the installation.

(c) Site/location details

Address where the installation is to be located. A contact phone number is required so inspections can be arranged. These details are mandatory and must be filled in.

(d) Notification details

The number of water supply connections is each connection from a Southern Water main. This is likely to be one for each domestic dwelling but could be several for an industrial process. This information is mandatory.

Description of proposed work should be a reference to a number in the table above. All the numbers relevant to the installation must be included. It is mandatory to indicate on the radio buttons if there is a rainwater harvesting system (excluding water butts), grey water recycling or a Fire Sprinkler System. Please also indicate here if you are applying for a Self-Lay project.

(e) Plumbing details

Except for installations 4(a), 4(c), 4(h), or 5 plumbing details ie pipe works, fittings and appliances are required. A plan of the installation must be attached.

(f) Name of approved plumber (installer)

Plumbers registered with the Water Industry Approved Plumbers Scheme (WIAPS) have demonstrated their experience and knowledge of the regulations and have liability insurance cover.

Southern Water supports the scheme. This list is available from the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme.

Granting consent

Once the information has been received we will write to you within 10 working days. Consent will not be withheld unreasonably and may be granted subject to conditions, which must be followed.

If we do not respond to you within 10 working days consent is deemed to have been granted. This does not alter the obligation upon the installer, owner or occupier to see that the regulations are fully met.


There is no charge for the consent. Southern Water do not provide a design service for plumbing works.

Further information

Please contact us if you require an answer to individual queries about an application.

Further information on the regulations is available from the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme on 01495 248454.

Close agent lightbox  Close box