Our complaints procedure

We’re really sorry if we’ve let you down. 


We always try to provide the best service possible, but sometimes things go wrong. When they do, it's best to speak to us so we can put things right as soon as possible. The quickest and easiest way to contact us is by phone or webchat, where a member of our team will be happy to help resolve any problems.

Speak to someone now

Chat to one of our team online. Available Monday to Friday, 8am–7pm and Saturday 8:30am–2pm.


Or call and speak to us over the phone. Available Monday to Friday 8am-7pm, calls charged at local rate.



What happens when I call you?
Step 1: Talk to us

We'll listen to the problem and do our best to resolve your complaint there and then.


Step 2: Investigation

We'll find the cause of the problem to see what can be done to help and try to find the best solution possible.


Step 3: Escalate your complaint

If you are not happy with the solution proposed, you can ask for your complaint to be escalated. Your dedicated escalations advisor will handle your complaint from this point onwards, working with you to find a suitable resolution.


Step 4: We’ll offer a solution or explain why we can’t

We'll do everything we can to try and resolve your complaint, some things however are outside of our control. If we can't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, we'll fully explain why.


Step 5: Raise a formal complaint

If you're still unhappy you can inform your escalations advisor that you would like to raise a formal complaint.



Write to us

Calling or speaking to us via web chat is the quickest way to resolve any problems, but if you’d prefer to write, you can send a letter to: Southern Water, PO Box 564, Darlington, DL1 9ZG.

We’ll reply to you within 10 working days of receiving your complaint, so don’t worry if you don’t hear back from us straight away. Someone will be looking at your complaint and working to find a resolution for you.

Any legal correspondence and/or documentation should be sent to our registered office address: Southern House, Yeoman Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3NX.


What happens when I write to you?
Step 1:

Once we receive your complaint, we’ll look into the details and investigate the cause of the problem.


Step 2:

We'll give you a call to ensure we understand your issue fully and try to resolve things over the phone.


Step 3:

If we can’t get hold of you, we’ll send you a written reply within 10 working days. Our reply will include a phone number and the name of the person dealing with your complaint should you wish to discuss any aspect of our response.


Step 4:

If you’re unhappy with the outcome of your complaint and write to us again, your complaint will be reviewed by one of our Complaints Specialists.


Step 5:

We'll do all we can to resolve your issue, but if you’re still unhappy, you can ask for an independent review from the Consumer Council for Water (CCW) – the voice for water consumers. CCW is an independent body set up to ensure the customer’s voice is heard and they will investigate customer complaints relating to our business.



Online Complaints form

You can also write to us by completing our online form. This will follow the same process as a complaint in writing, so speaking to us on the phone or via webchat is a much quicker and simpler way to resolve your complaint.

Here to help

We always aim to provide you with excellent customer service. However, sometimes we make mistakes. If we do, it’s important that we fix any problems as quickly as possible.
Download our complaints procedure