My property is flooded with clean water

The flood in your home or garden could be caused by a burst water main or a leak from a water pipe. It may also be coming from another source. We know how distressing it can be to experience flooding, so here’s how we can help to get it sorted as soon as possible.

Who to contact

Call our 24-hour emergency number 0330 303 0368.

Contact your insurer immediately. Tell them about any damage the flooding has caused to your property. If you don’t, it may affect and future insurance claims you need to make. Let us know if any nearby properties have been affected, so we can help them too.


What we'll do
  • We’ll aim to be with you within two hours (in storms and severe weather we may take longer to reach you.)
  • We may also send updates by text – if you give us your mobile number.
  • When we get there, we’ll quickly work to find the cause. This will involve checking supply pipes.
  • In the majority of cases, if your property has been flooded, we'll carry out a basic clean-up or offer you help and advice about what to do next. Unless your insurance company has made their own arrangements.


What can I do immediately?
  • Keep children and pets away from the flooded areas.
  • If it's safe to do so, isolate all electrical circuits by turning off the supply at the circuit board or fuse box.
  • Contact your insurance company to report the damage and make a claim (keep receipts of emergency expenses).
  • If it's safe to do so, take photos of the flooded area and any damaged property. These could support your insurance claim and help us to determine why the flooding has happened.


Insurance claims
  • Contact your household insurance company immediately.
  • We have strict liability for freshwater flooding. That means we’ll pay the cost of replacing damaged property or lost items.
  • Claims for damage or loss need to be made to your own insurers as they will settle claims on a new for old basis. They’ll tell you what you need to do to meet the terms and conditions of your policy. They’ll recover anything they’ve paid out from us.
  • We will pay any insurance excess you’ve had to pay.  
  • If you’re not insured, then we’ll deal directly with you. We’ll settle claims based on an item’s current age and value, including wear and tear, rather than on a ‘new for old’ basis.