Located close to Winchester, Twyford Waterworks is an Edwardian pumping station with a unique array of buildings and machinery.
A collection of steam, diesel and electric pumps help to tell the story of water extraction, softening and supply over the last
Restored by volunteers of the Twyford Waterworks Trust, it is described by English Heritage as ‘exceptional’
Most of the waterworks is managed by Twyford Waterworks Trust and is run by a team of 40 volunteers. The site contains nearly all of its original equipment, including five large lime kilns, a water-powered narrow gauge incline railway and the entire water softening process.
A Heritage Lottery Fund award means the historic boilers and pumping engine will be restored, bringing steam power back to the site.
Constructed from 1898 through to 1935, the three main buildings are located at the heart of the site. The site is still operational and supplies five million gallons of water every day.
- The Engine House. This contains the large 1914 Hathorn Davy triple expansion steam pumping engine, capable of pumping to the Water Softening Plant and the service reservoirs.
- The Boiler House. Three Babcock and Wilcox boilers can be found here. Dating from 1906, 1903 and 1916, these are the last complete set of water tube boilers to survive in the country and supplied steam to the Hathorn Davy engine and electricity generating set.
- The Diesel House. The pumping station was modernised in the 1930s with three modern diesel engines from Rustons. Two of the engines are in working order and are run on open days. The third is undergoing long-term restoration.
A 2ft gauge railway to transport materials around the site was laid soon after the site opened. Skip wagons were used for all operations, pushed by hand on the level sections and pulled by rope up the inclines.
A rare ‘time capsule’ Edwardian waterworks... exciting opportunities for people of all ages to get involved in the heritage on their doorstep
Stuart McLeod, Head of the Heritage Lottery Fund for South East England
Much of this railway remains in place today and new track has been laid to allow demonstrations of typical small locomotives shunting a variety of wagons.
How to find us
The waterworks is open during themed days throughout the summer months and offers guided tours at other times.
Twyford is located about one mile from Junction 11 of the M3. Parking is available on open days. Details of the open days and directions to the waterworks can be found on the waterworks' website.
View Larger Map
For general and visitor enquiries, call 01962 714716.