5 Live Updates arrow
Account Login

Re-laying your supply pipe

If there are multiple leaks in the supply pipe to your house, or if it's starting to deteriorate, replacing it can be the best long-term option.


Guidance on re-laying your supply pipe

You may find there are multiple leaks, you're unable to pinpoint the leak, or the supply pipe to your house has deteriorated and may leak again. In this case, replacing rather than repairing your supply pipe is generally the most cost-effective option.

For this, you should always use a plumber or groundworker who deals with underground pipe work. Visit watersafe.org.uk to find an approved plumber in your area.

When re-laying a supply pipe you need to let us know, so we can arrange a trench inspection (which enables the installation to be approved) and connection to the main.


Passing the trench inspection

To pass the inspection you must:

  • Check whether the ground is classed as contaminated (this will help you select the correct supply pipe material).
  • Install an Approved pipe laid at 750mm deep.
  • Make sure the trench is ducted into the house through the footings.
  • Ensure the trench is insulated at this point.

Trench inspections take 48 hours to organise and the inspector must approve the trench before it is filled in.

We recommend work starts at the boundary, working towards your property. If the leak is then discovered just past the boundary, work can stop (saving additional cost) while we investigate.


Understanding who's responsible

The infographic below can help you identify at what point you become responsible for the supply pipe leading to your house.

Did you find the information you are looking for?

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you found this information useful!
We're sorry to hear that. Please tell us a bit more by ticking any of the boxes below that apply.
Page feedback form

Cookies required

It looks like some of your cookies are disabled. If you want to use this feature, please enable functional cookies and refresh the page.