Beachbuoy is easy to use
A coloured icon represents a designated bathing water or a recreational harbour:
- If a blue circle is shown: There has been no release from a CSO in the past 72 hours.
- If a yellow triangle is shown: There has been a release from a CSO in the past 72 hours.
- If a red square is shown: There has been a release from a CSO in the past 24 hours.*
In addition, each of our outfalls that may affect water quality in your chosen location is also represented by a coloured icon:
- When a green circle is shown: There has been no release from here in the past 72 hours.
- When a yellow circle is shown: There has been a release from here in the past 72 hours.
- When a red circle is shown: There has been a release from here in the past 24 hours.*
*Sometimes, a red icon may show and later be removed. This is usually because we received an unverified report of a release and, when we investigated, no release had actually occurred. On these occasions, the red icon will show until we know for sure.
See more by clicking on the main icons
We want you to have as much information as possible. Click on the icon to reveal more, including a seven day review that lets you know what’s happened in the past week.
Please note: Southern Water can’t make any recommendations about the safety for water users in the event of a release from a CSO. Beachbuoy is simply a reporting tool – users are advised to use their own discretion when entering the water. More advice and information about bathing waters can be found on the the Environment Agency’s website.
How do combined sewers and overflows work?
If you'd like more information about why water companies are permitted to release into the environment, please read about the role of releases in protecting homes and managing storms.
Find out more about how we determine which outfall affects each Beachbuoy location.
By subscribing to this service, you acknowledge that we will be processing personally identifiable information about you in line with our Privacy Notice and in particular, to send you communications which you have requested in relation to this service.