Who to call when there’s a flood

With Storm Ciarán bringing heavy downpours across our region, it’s good to know who to call if there’s a flood. When it comes to who can help, it depends on the type of flood.

Here’s an easy guide to help you know who to call if there’s flooding.

If there’s a flood in your home, who can help?

You’ll need to contact us about a flood if your property is flooded with sewer water. We’ll do our best to get to you as soon as possible. For any other flooding in your home, such as from leaks, you may need to call a plumber and we would always recommend finding an approved plumber.

What if there’s flooding from sewer pipes?

If there is flooding from sewers and drains, the flooding may be coming from foul sewers or surface water sewers. We work to keep sewers flowing and manage the flows they are built to carry, such as waste from toilets, sinks, showers and washing machines, as well as rainwater from roofs and driveways.

If the street is flooded, who do you call for assistance?

When roads or highways get flooded, it’s the local highway authority that is responsible. You can find information about flooding of roads or gullies at county councils or unitary authorities. When it comes to trunk roads and motorways, it’s Highways England that is responsible for these roads.

What about surface water flooding?

Your local council can help with surface water flooding. Contact your local council or unitary authority for more information.

What if you see flooding from a river or at the coast?

For any river or coastal flooding, the Environment Agency is responsible. When it comes to water courses, such as drainage ditches, the flood risk is managed by local authorities, Internal Drainage Boards manage water levels, and waterside property owners may have some responsibilities too.

You can find out more about flooding and there is also information on the government website.