Could you save water?
Saving water can slash your bills, giving you spare cash to spend. It also means we need to take less from local rivers, reservoirs and underground stores – so using less helps the environment too by taking pressure off local water sources.
Small changes for big results
What are the biggest water-guzzlers in your home? Showering, flushing toilets and washing clothes are top of the list.
Yet small, everyday changes can make a huge difference to how much water you use. We call these 'AquaHacks'.
Shorter showers make savings
Showers are your biggest water-wasters. So, cutting your shower time is one of the easiest ways to save.
The average UK shower lasts eight minutes – costing £416 a year in energy costs for the typical family. This cost doubles if you have a power shower, as they use twice as much energy and water.
But shorter showers make savings. Shortening showers to four minutes halves the cost. By doing so, the average UK family could save 21,900 litres of water a year – enough to make 300 cups of tea a day.
Do you want a great AquaHack to cut your shower time? Try a four-minute shower anthem. Challenge yourself to get in and out of the shower before the following songs end:
- Rain Town by Deacon Blue (3:50)
- It’s Raining Men by The Weather Girls (3:31)
- I Can’t Stand the Rain by Tina Turner (3:41)
Alternatively, you can choose a shower soundtrack of your own – or head over to the Southern Water Spotify account for more four-minute suggestions.
Other ways to save
The shower isn’t the only place you can save water. Here are some handy water-saving tips you can try elsewhere in and around your home:
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth – a running tap spews nine litres per minute.
- Use a watering can instead of a hose – a hosepipe can gush up to 16 litres each minute.
- Wait for a full load before putting your dishwasher and washing machine on – fewer loads use less water.
- Save toilet flushes for when they really matter – remember, if it’s yellow let it mellow.
- Use a water butt – a single one can collect 200 litres of rainwater for you to use around the garden.
We’ve got plenty more tips for the home and garden if you want more water-saving ideas.
In addition, our customers have shared some AquaHacks of their own. Here are a few of our favourites:
What are your best AquaHacks?
If you’ve got a great water-saving tip, let us know! Share your best AquaHacks on social media using #AquaHacks.
*Customer terms and conditions
#AquaHacks – Win a waterproof Bluetooth speaker!
This promotion runs from Wednesday 3 November to Monday 15 November 2021 inclusive.
Terms and conditions:
- The title of this free prize draw is “AquaHacks”.
- This is a free prize draw that is open to all domestic household customers of Southern Water who are aged 18 years or under.
- The Promoter will not accept entries from any agents or third parties.
- Upon joining the competition you will be automatically entered into the prize draw.
- The Promoter will not accept any responsibility for entries and acceptance of prizes not successfully completed due to any technical failure (software; hardware; network or other) of any kind.
- The closing date for all entries is 11.59pm on Monday 15 November 2021. Entries received after this time will not be accepted.
- A few winners will be selected and supervised by an independent person, from all complete and eligible entries received by the closing date.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize, and it is both non-refundable and nontransferable.
- The winners will be notified by Monday 22 November 2021 via social media. The winner will have 15 days from the date of notification to confirm acceptance of the Prize. If the winner does not respond to the Promoter within 15 days from the date of notification and confirm acceptance, the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- Southern Water’s decision is final and binding in all respects as regards this prize draw and we will not enter into any further correspondence.
- If you enter this promotion and confirm acceptance of the Prize you are agreeing to allow Southern Water to use your name, county of residence, details and photo for announcing the winner of the prize draw and advertising and publicity purposes, without additional remuneration.
- The winner’s name and county of residence can be obtained for a period of one month after the closing date.
- This prize draw, and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit of the prize draw.
- In so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize expect where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Southern Water, Southern House, Yeoman Road, Durrington BN13 3NZ.
- The Promoter is Southern Water Services Ltd. Registered in England No. 2366670.
Registered Office: Southern House, Yeoman Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3NX.